Incorporating MATH PRACTICES during MATH!

Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Are you incorporating the 8 Math Practices 
into your Common Core Math Lessons?
Alternative Strategies, DOK 3 Math, DOK 3 Lesson, 5th Grade Math, Area Model, Multiplication Strategies
The above picture shows an anchor chart that I made of alternative strategies for multiplication.  Before the lesson, we went over the below Mathematical Practices that I am trying to include in my lessons to encourage students to have good HABITS when it is time to do math!  My coworker in the lower grades is AMAZING and had these practices laid out for his students to reference.  I wanted to make a version that was more suitable for upper grades, so I made the checklist below! 
8 MATH PRACTICES, MATH PRACTICES, COMMON CORE MATH PRACTICES
Before the lesson, I discussed with students what mathematical practices we would be incorporating into our lesson.  The students checked them off on the list and then students explained how they were going to use them specifically (for this particular lesson.)  In the beginning, this takes a bit of guidance.  I constantly referred to this checklist throughout the lesson.  Click on the pic above or below to download this chart! 
8 MATH PRACTICES CHART, COMMON CORE, DOK 3 5TH GRADE LESSON
While we are working on word problems like those seen below, I like to point out how students are focusing on MATH PRACTICES such as precision (using multiple strategies to check their work) AND critiquing (checking the work of their peers) while they are working. This raises their awareness of the GREAT math HABITS they are working on!
Do you need additional scaffolding materials for multiplication? 
Click on the link below to be taken there!
Another thing I have started doing this year is using the exit tickets (like the one seen below) at the end of a math lesson.  Since it is pretty much a generic template, the students are able to explain what they learned in that particular lesson AND give an EXAMPLE of what they learned (the EVIDENCE.)  They usually find their favorite problem from the lesson and use that as their evidence.  Finally, the students check off the bottom of the ticket which showcases if they felt like they understood the concept OR if they still need help.  I love that they help me form small groups for those that need specific help.  What I love even more is that the EXIT ticket encourages students to NOTIFY me if they need help! Click to download it below…
Math Exit Ticket, Exit Ticket, Math
Do you have any tricks for incorporating the different Math Practices while teaching Math?

6 comments:

  1. I love this! The mathematical practices checklist and math exit ticket are genius, I will definitely be incorporating these into my 8th grade math classroom. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THESE ARE AWESOME!!! Do you have a link to the resources the primary teacher used??? I am working with both primary and intermediate teachers on incorporating these into their classrooms this year and would LOVE to differentiate the professional development for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great resource. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great resource. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I am totally interested in your differentiated multiplication and division strategies bundles for grades 2 - 5 in the interactive notebook. When clicking on the link, it does not take you to the product and I cannot find it in your tpt store. Could you please advise how I can get this product?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't access the exit ticket. Is there any way you can share the link with me?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what my readers think of the posts. :) Thanks in advance!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top